Experienced Counsel for Residents of the Beltway Region
The D.C. bankruptcy lawyers at The Belmont Firm know firsthand that debt can hit without warning, especially in our current economic climate. From losing your job to facing unexpected medical expenses, financial hardship can add an additional unneeded strain during troubled times. Our legal team is dedicated to helping clients throughout Washington DC and the surrounding areas navigate every phase of the bankruptcy process so they can secure a fresh start on their finances.
Understanding the Bankruptcy Process
Filing for bankruptcy can be a complex and overwhelming process, but having a clear understanding of how it works can help alleviate some of the stress. At Belmont Law Firm, our experienced bankruptcy lawyers are here to guide you through every step of the process and ensure that your rights are protected.
Here is a brief overview of the bankruptcy process in Washinton D.C.:
- Evaluation: Our team will evaluate your financial situation, including your income, expenses, assets, and debts, to determine if bankruptcy is the right solution for you.
- Filing: Once you decide to move forward with bankruptcy, we will help you gather all the necessary documents and file the appropriate bankruptcy petition with the court.
- Automatic Stay: As soon as your bankruptcy petition is filed, an automatic stay goes into effect, which puts a stop to all collection actions, including foreclosure, wage garnishment, and creditor harassment.
- Meeting of Creditors: You will be required to attend a meeting of creditors, where a bankruptcy trustee will ask you questions about your financial situation. Our attorneys will prepare you for this meeting and be by your side.
- Debt Discharge: If your bankruptcy case is successful, you will receive a discharge, which eliminates your legal obligation to repay most of your debts. This provides you with a fresh start and a chance to rebuild your financial future.
By choosing Belmont Law Firm as your bankruptcy advocate, you can rest assured that you will have knowledgeable and dedicated professionals on your side throughout the entire process. Contact our Wasington D.C. today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards financial freedom.
Whatever your situation, The Belmont Firm is ready to help. Let us provide trusted counsel and leverage our considerable experience to assist you. Call (202) 875-8445 today for a bankruptcy lawyer near you.
What Are the Advantages of Filing for Bankruptcy?
The U.S. government created the bankruptcy system to give individuals and business owners the opportunity to find a fresh start. Chapter 7, Chapter 13, and Chapter 11 bankruptcy allows individuals to gather their debts and, at the end of the process, see them partly or totally dismissed or made more manageable with a repayment plan. While bankruptcy laws are ultimately meant to help, the process itself can be complex. Each type of bankruptcy has its own requirements and rules and a failure to follow these rules can lead to additional financial consequences.
If you are considering filing for bankruptcy, we strongly encourage you to reach out to our firm. Attorney Maurice "Mac" VerStandig has years of experience handling complex bankruptcy cases and has deep roots in the local courts. He understands economic growth pockets, where there are opportunities for consumers, and the nuances of Federal Court. As a preeminent local bankruptcy attorney, you can trust The Belmont Firm to handle your case with the professionalism, care, and compassion you deserve.
- Chapter 7: This form of bankruptcy liquidates assets to pay off creditors. Those seeking Chapter 7 must be eligible via a means test.
- Chapter 13: This helps those who have a regular income create a repayment plan to pay back some or all of their debts over a period of 3 to 5 years.
- Chapter 11: This is a “reorganization” bankruptcy for business owners. Like Chapter 13, Chapter 11 proposes a plan to pay back their debts over time, while keeping their business alive.
- Debt relief for individuals and students: We can explore various strategies to consolidate, negotiate, manage, reduce, eliminate, and settle your debts and student loans.
Why Do I Need a Bankruptcy Lawyer?
At The Belmont Firm, our skilled lawyer has spent his career developing the knowledge to help people through bankruptcy so they can take control of their debt. Our attorney possesses a deep understanding of the Bankruptcy Code and we can help you decide the best avenue going forward.
Even if bankruptcy isn’t in the cards for you, we can negotiate with creditors to get you some debt relief. The Belmont Firm can also work with the IRS to work out a repayment plan for back taxes. When you choose our bankruptcy firm to represent you, you can trust we have your back each step of the way.
Call our law office in Washington DC today at (202) 875-8445 to request a free case consultation.